Lowcountry firefighters warning residents after responding to several cooking fires

Burton Fire responds to cooking fires

BEAUFORT, SC (WTOC) - The Burton Fire District and the Beaufort/Port Royal Fire Department are cautioning residents after responded to their second house fire in three days caused by unattended cooking.

Just before 1:30 p.m. Monday, firefighters were called to the scene of a house fire on Second Street in Polk Village. They arrived to find the residents safely on the lawn, but smoke coming from the home, which did have a working smoke alarm.

Crews entered the home and found a fire in the kitchen. They quickly extinguished it, limiting the damage to the kitchen area. However, the home suffered smoke damages throughout. No injuries were reported, but the residents - two adult females - have been displaced. Red Cross has been notified.

Officials say the fire was caused by unattended cooking on the stove. They say the home had three fire extinguishers, but the resident did not know how to use them.

This is the second time in three days a home has been damaged and residents have been displaced due to an unattended cooking fire.

The first fire happened Friday evening on Providence Road when a cooking fire damaged the home and trapped two dogs that were eventually rescued by firefighters.

Fire officials say cooking fires are the leading cause of fires nationally and locally. They are stressing the importance of every home having a fire extinguisher that all family members are familiar with and know how to use - especially elderly family members.

The Burton Fire District provides free fire extinguisher training to any group, business, organization, or family. Click here for more information, e-mail safetyed@burtonfd.org.

Copyright 2019 WTOC. All rights reserved.