Space Heater Fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

12/09/02

Space Heater Fire

A Garden City family has lost everything after a space heater caught on fire and destroyed their home. It happened around 8pm last night at a house on Old Augusta Road. By the time firefighters arrived, the house was completely engulfed in flames.

Sabrina Johnson said she had two space heaters on, when one started shooting out sparks. She had just enough time to get her five children out of the house and keep her 17-year-old son from going back in to try to save their belongings.

"But he ran back in and I had to persuade him not to save anything," she said. "He said but what about Christmas? And I said your life means more than Christmas."

The Red Cross is helping the family this morning. Firefighters say you need to be extremely careful using space heaters. Don't place them near walls, furniture, curtains or blankets, and never leave a space heater unattended.

Reported by: Liz Flynn, lflynn@wtoc.com

 

Powered by Frankly