Winter Heating Safety Tips

Savannah Fire & Emergency Services would once again like to get the message out for the public to be more cautious this weekend, with the recent weather emergency that may come this way. It is expected to last for 72 hours, and may have power outage.

Safety Tips:

  • Have a flashlight, a battery powered radio and bottled water handy.
  • Avoid opening windows and doors to conserve heat.
  • Use a flashlight if the power is out at home.
  • Avoid using candles or other open flames indoors.
  • Do not leave candles unattended, or in an area where children can knock it over.
  • More people have died after recent winter storms from residential fires caused by candles than from the direct effects of the storm itself.
  • Don't heat your home with any combustion equipment such as a gas range or kerosene heater unless property ventilated.
  • If you use portable space heaters at home, do so very carefully.
  • Keep heaters at least three feet away from any combustible material, including drapes, carpeting, and furniture.
  • Do not drape gloves, socks, or other clothing over a space heater to dry.
  • Turn space heating equipment off when you are not in the room.
  • Use a ceramic space heater with a safety feature that would turn off if it's knocked over.
  • Keep children and pets away from heating equipment.
  • Fuel-filled equipment should be filled outdoors when completely cool.
  • Don't go near or touch any fallen power lines notify the utility company, or 911.
  • If neighborhood power comes on and yours doesn't, call the utility company once again.
For more information, please feel free to contact Savannah Fire & Emergency Services at 912-651-6758 or F.F. Brenda Dulbert, PIO at 912 -644-5957.