Right now in the WTOC Newsroom

From the WTOC newsroom:

The Red Cross is helping a Savannah woman after a fire ripped through her home early this morning. Firefighters say a space heater may be to blame for the blaze. Michelle Paynter has been following this story and has some tips on how to protect your home from space heater-related fires.

Cold weather is partially to blame for a transformer explosion overnight in Savannah, cutting power to parts of the area for several hours. Don Logana spoke with Georgia Power officials today and found out why the cold has caused problems with transformers all over Chatham County.

Georgia's 2010 General Assembly kicked off today in Atlanta and already, lawmakers are facing some tough issues and decisions for the upcoming year. Bureau chief Dal Cannady is in Atlanta today for the start of the new session and he'll have all the details.

Tune in tonight starting with THE News at 5:00 and check out wtoc.com any time for the latest news, sports and weather.

©2010 WTOC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.