Registering Your Automobile

How do I register my vehicle in Georgia?

For more detail in addition to the following, visit the GA Motor Vehicle Division's website.

You are considered a Georgia resident if you have a permanent place to live in Georgia and except for infrequent, brief absences, you have been in Georgia for thirty-days (30) or more.

It is recommended that you obtain a Georgia driver's license or state-issued identification card before registering your vehicles in this state. New Georgia residents must apply for a Georgia driver's license within thirty-days (30) of establishing residency in this state. Click here to connect to Drivers License Services for more information on obtaining a Georgia driver's license or state-issued identification card.

As a Georgia resident, you must register your cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles and motor homes and apply for Georgia Titles (if a title is required for your vehicle in this state) within thirty-days (30) of establishing residency in this state at the Tax Commissioner's office in the county where you reside. For a vehicle owned or primarily used in connection with a business, register it in the county in Georgia where your business is located. Click here to view a list of vehicles exempt from registration in this state.

Generally, 1986 and newer year model vehicles require a title in this state. Click here to find out if your vehicle requires a title in this state.

Counties have varying rules for new residents. Most require a new resident to appear in person at their office with the following:

  • Valid Georgia driver's license or state-issued identification card. Click here for additional information regarding Georgia drivers’ license and/or state-issued identification cards. If registering by mail is acceptable in your county, you may be required to submit a copy with your application for registration.
  • An MV-1 tag and title application completed in your legal name(s). A natural person's legal name would be their name as shown on their valid Georgia driver's license or state-issued identification card. This application must be typed or printed electronically or legibly by hand in blue or black ink except signature(s). Each owner must sign his or her own individual name.
  • If all owners go in person to their county tax commissioner's office with their valid Georgia driver's license or state-issued identification card, the required documents and fees/taxes, this application can be completed and printed for signing and processing. This application can be used to apply for both a tag and title.
  • · Original out-of-state Title or manufacturer’s statement of origin (for a new vehicle never titled) must be submitted. Submit your registration certificate* when your title is being held by your leasing company or your financial institution or when your 1986 or newer year model vehicle was last registered in a state or country that does not issue titles for this type and/or year model vehicle.
  • When your bank, financial institution or leasing company is holding your title, submit a completed T-17 Affidavit of Title Held by Lien or Security Interest Holder or Leasing Company form with your tag registration certificate. The office processing your application will mail a letter to your leasing company or financial institution requesting your out-of-state title for the issuance of a Georgia title. The Georgia Title, when issued, will be mailed to your first lien or security interest holder or your leasing company. If your vehicle is not financed or leased, the title will be mailed to you, the vehicle owner.
  • A completed T-22B Certification of Inspection form must accompany a registration certificate from a non-title state or country when your vehicle requires a title in this state. Click on the form name above to view and print this form. A law enforcement officer or county tax commissioner or his or her designee should complete this form after a visual inspection of your vehicle's serial plate. This form must be typed or printed electronically or legibly by hand in blue or black ink, except signature(s). This verification is needed to ensure that your vehicle's registration certificate and title are issued reflecting the correct vehicle identification number (V.I.N.).
  • Your vehicle must be covered by liability insurance before it can be operated in this state and before a tag can be issued, renewed, replaced or transferred. Click here for more information regarding insurance coverage requirements. Non-motorized vehicles (trailers, campers, etc.) and vehicles not requiring registration in this state (Golf carts, snow mobiles, etc.) are exempt from required liability insurance coverage.
  • Proof that your vehicle has passed an annual emission inspection is required if you live in one of the following metro Atlanta area counties: Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, Dekalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale and the vehicle is not exempt from inspection. For more information regarding testing requirements, exemptions, fees, location of inspection stations, etc. call the Georgia Clean Air Force at 1-800-449-2471 or visit their web site at:
  • Cash, check or money order payable to the Office of the Tax Commissioner for all fees and/or taxes due*. Please do not remit cash through the mail. Some counties accept credit cards. Generally checks must be imprinted with a local bank's address and out-of-state checks are usually not accepted.

*As a new resident, initial registration of most vehicles will cost $38 for each vehicle that must be registered and titled -- $18 title fee and $20 registration fee. Ad valorem taxes may also be due depending upon when you became a Georgia resident and the birthday of the vehicle's primary owner (e.g. Name shown first on title and registration). Ad valorem tax is based on the vehicle's value and the financial needs of various levying authorities in your county of residence. Contact your county tax commissioner's office to see if this tax is due, and if due, the amount.

Commercial vehicles to be registered under the International Registration Plan (IRP) are registered in this state with the IRP Unit of State Motor Vehicle Services (MVS).

Motor Bottom Nav Bar start Motor Bottom Nav Bar end