Investigators say house fire started in air conditioning system - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Investigators say house fire started in air conditioning system

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - A fire that damaged a Savannah home and displaced five people is believed to be electrical, according to the Savannah Fire and Emergency Services.

Firefighters were called at about 11:25 a.m. Monday to 8310 Atwood St., where heavy smoke was billowing from the house, and flames were coming from the rear of the home.

Most of the fire was in the attic of the single-story home. Firefighters had to remove large parts of the ceiling and ventilate the roof in order to reach the flames and put out the fire.

One person was home at the time of the fire and she was able to escape without injury, according to SFES. The fire resulted in heavy fire, smoke and water damage in the home.

SFES investigators said the fire appears to be electrical in nature and started near the home's HVAC system and traveled up a wall into the attic.

A firefighter was injured when he fell from a ladder inside the house. He was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital to be treated for his injured hip and leg. The American Red Cross assisting the five people with alternate living arrangements.

One group of firefighters continued to ventilate the Atwood St. house, and other firefighters at the scene were collecting their gear, cooling down and rehydrating when they spotted a house on fire three-quarters of a mile way to the east, according to SFES.

Copyright 2010 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly