Fire breaks out at popular local restaurant - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Fire breaks out at popular local restaurant

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - Monday night, a fire broke out at the recently reopened Masato's of Japan restaurant on Abercorn.

It started somewhere near the front of the restaurant. Firefighters had to cut into the top with a chainsaw to find the fire. They put it out before it caused any major damage.

After evacuating a witness said, "I looked out and I just saw a little bit of smoke. I thought it was some car in the parking lot smoking up. But then, I smelled it coming from the sign. And I was just like oooh, it's probably just two wires that shorted each other out and caught a flame."

Officials believe it was some kind of electrical fire. The restaurant will remain closed until safety inspectors say it's safe for people to return, which could be as soon as tomorrow.

Copyright 2010 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly