Mother, 8 children left homeless by fire

By Michelle Paynter - bio | email

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - A mother and her eight children are counting their blessings after a fire ravaged their home.

It happened at about 2:30 p.m. Monday on Emerald Drive in Savannah's Frazier Homes public housing complex.

Smoke and flames shot out of the upstairs apartment. Firefighters said the fire started in a bedroom, but have not determined the cause.

Marquita Williams and her children were all home at the time and made it out OK. But they lost everything they own in the fire.

Williams said, "We heard the alarm going off, we smelled the smoke and when we went back there the room was on fire and I screamed fire. My neighbor tried to put it out, but it was too late."

Firefighters said the residents living in the downstairs apartment also made it out, but their home was damaged by smoke and water.

The American Red Cross is helping both families.

Copyright 2010 WTOC. All rights reserved.