STATESBORO, GA (WTOC) - Families are back in their homes after a propane gas leak Monday night in Statesboro. It happened in Johnson's mobile home park off Highway 67 near Veterans Memorial Parkway.
The city's public safety director, Wendell Turner, tells WTOC a valve ruptured on a buried 500 gallon tank. Fire crews evacuated the homes and a nearby motel. They dug the tank out of the ground and sealed the gas lines.
Turner said the tank was unused and owned by the mobile home park, but still held 100-200 gallons of gas. Families returned home before dawn this morning. Bulloch County's Red Cross Chapter housed five families in a motel overnight.
Copyright 2010 WTOC. All rights reserved.
During a special called meeting on Friday, Savannah City Council has voted to dissolve the Savannah-Chatham Metro Police Department merger effective Feb. 1, 2018.More >>
Savannah-Chatham Metro Police have arrested four people who were involved in a fight that took place at the IHOP on Victory Drive, June 26.More >>
The Savannah-Chatham Metro Police Department is investigating a shooting at Cedar and East 55th streets.More >>
The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office responded to a call from a woman who reports she was sexually assaulted in the wooded area near the entrance of Sandy Pointe in Bluffton.More >>
A few local candy shops made a sweet donation to America's Second Harvest of Coastal Georgia Thursday.More >>