Residents displaced after rooming house fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Residents displaced after rooming house fire

By Brian Entin - bio | email

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - Nine people were forced out of their home after a fire broke out at a rooming house on Waters Avenue between East 38th Street and Seiler Avenue.

The fire started in the kitchen and was mainly contained in that area.

But the city determined the structure is unsafe because of electrical problems.

"Being homeless is hard...especially if you were homeless at first and when you found a place you realized you have to be homeless again," resident Sandra James said.

James is staying with a friend. The other residents are staying at an area hotel courtesy of the Red Cross.

"I'm a little stressed, but the Red Cross stepped in and they are doing their job. They are making sure everyone has a place to stay," resident Gary Grand said.

The Red Cross says they have been helping an average of two families per day impacted by fire. "We have had so many fires and apartment fires with a lot of people displaced. It really has an impact on our resources," Tina Hardy with the Savannah Chapter of the Red Cross said.

Residents at the rooming house are not sure when the city will allow them to move back in.

Copyright 2010 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly