Family loses apartment to fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Family loses apartment to fire

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) – An early-morning fire has put a family of six out of their apartment.

The fire started just after 7 a.m. Wednesday in an upstairs apartment on West Gwinnett Court. Firefighters were able to get the blaze under control quickly, but heavy smoke damaged the entire apartment. Now the parents and the four young children have nothing. The West Broad Street YMCA knows this family well. The YMCA said the family is in good spirits, but the reality hasn't set in yet.

"They can't go back to this place because it's not there to go back to, so we know it's going to hit them a little bit later.  But this is a really strong family, great family, who really love each other and take care of each other, and we know they're going to get through this. We're just really sad they have to," said Peter Doliber of the West Broad YMCA.

To help the family, call the YMCA on West Broad Street at 912.233.1951.

Copyright 2010 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly