Malfunctioning fryer briefly closes Walmart - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Malfunctioning fryer briefly closes Walmart

POOLER, GA (WTOC) - An electrical malfunction on a fryer at the McDonalds inside the Walmart on Pooler Parkway caused smoke to fill the building.

The Pooler Fire Department responded a little after 2 a.m. They evacuated the entire Walmart as a precaution. Firefighters were able to quickly disconnect the fryer and clear the smoke.

"Other than that fire unit, there was no damage. The smoke was minor inside so their was no need for the health department and there was no need to close the store down," said Pooler Fire Chief Wade Simmons.

Employees waited outside 10 to 15 minutes before they were allowed back inside. The Walmart was reopened a short time later.

Copyright 2010 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly