SPRINGFIELD, GA (WTOC) - An Effingham County family is forced out into the cold Tuesday morning when their home catches fire.
Effingham Fire and Rescue were called to DeWitt Road, just off Highway 21 in Springfield around 2 a.m. When they got there they found smoke coming from a one-story home.
The fire quickly spread from the walls up into the attic.
There were no fire hydrants nearby so crews had to call in a tank truck filled with water.
They were able to contain most of the damage to the attic. Firefighters believe a wood heating stove sparked the fire.
"Homeowners did a good job holding it down when we got here," Effingham Co. Fire Chief Val Ashcraft said. "And we had a good save on the house."
"These wood heaters are always a problem," Ashcraft added. "These problems crop up the first of the year."
The Red Cross is assisting two people who were living there.