Broughton Street business fire ruled accidental - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Broughton Street business fire ruled accidental

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - Savannah Fire and Emergency Services investigators have determined that a fire Wednesday night at a Broughton Street business was accidental and caused by a space heater in the basement of the business.

Savannah firefighters were called at about 5:10 p.m. to the 100 block of West Broughton Street on a report of thick smoke in the air. Firefighters encountered heavy, black smoke and flames in the Time Machine Portrait Company at 112 W. Broughton St.

Firefighters discovered the blaze in the building's basement and more units were called in to ensure there were enough resources and personnel to battle any fire that might have made its way to the roof of the building, according to SFES.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the basement, which sustained severe fire damage.

The upper floors of the business had heavy smoke and water damage. Firefighters remained at the scene for hours following the blaze to ventilate the structure and ensure no hotspots resulted from the fire.

SFES investigators determined that a space heater in close proximity to the costumes caused the blaze.


Previous Story:

Copyright 2010 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly