MONCKS CORNER, SC (WTOC) - Santee Cooper, South Carolina's state-owned largest power producer, is offering ideas to help consumers save money and energy.
"The beginning of a new year is the perfect time to get motivated to make smart choices when it comes to how much energy you consume," said Retail Operations Vice President Zack Dusenbury in a news release. "Now is the time to set in motion some energy-saving measures that will add up to big savings all year."
From Santee Cooper:
- First, be aware of the temperature in your home. Heating and cooling account for as much as half of the energy used in your home, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. Setting the heat a few degrees cooler and the air conditioning a few degrees warmer could pay off in significant savings in your energy bills.
- Knowing when to change the air filter can save energy and help keep energy bills lower. Check the air filter monthly and if the filter looks dirty, change it. A dirty filter slows down air flow and forces the system to use more energy to keep working. A clean filter not only makes the system work more efficiently, it also can help keep maintenance costs to a minimum.
- Consider planting a tree that will help shade your home. Mother Nature will be happy, your neighbors will enjoy the additional landscaping and you can reap the benefits of having your home shaded during the hot summer months.
- Take the time to pull the plug on phantom power. Harness your inner superhero this year and vanquish phantom power in your home by unplugging electric devices you aren't using. Unplug your phone charges, game systems, computers, DVD players and TVs when not in use.
- Finally, resolve to take more walks and bike rides. Cutting down the time you spend in your home means cutting television, radio and computer time, which saves energy. Plus, walking and biking will help with those other New Year's resolutions.