SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - City leaders announced the opening of a new Volunteer Income Tax Assistance at the Windsor Forest Community Center. They held a ribbon cutting ceremony at noon on Wednesday.
The VITA site will offer free income tax preparation by IRS-trained volunteers. The service is available for all citizens, regardless of income.
The Windsor Forest VITA site is the third site fully sponsored by the city and one is of 14 sites organized under the Chatham Savannah Asset Development Coalition.
Last year, the sites helped 5,203 residents claim $6.8 million in federal refunds.
VITA sites will open and begin taking clients on Jan. 18.
The following are the times and locations for the VITA sites the area:
- Savannah Entrepreneurial Center, 801 East Gwinnett Street - Open for tax preparation- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Moses Jackson Center, 1210 Richard Street - Open for tax preparation – Tuesday, Thursday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Windsor Forest Community Center, 414 Briarcliff Circle - Open for tax preparation: Wednesday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Chatham County, 124 Bull Street
- Economic Opportunity Authority (EOA), 618 West Anderson Street
- Neighborhood Improvement Association, 1816 Abercorn Street
- Employment and Training Center of UMI, 711 East Broad Street
- Second Arnold Baptist Church, 1427 East 37th Street
- St. Joseph's Candler Hospital, 11700 Middleground Road
- United Way of Effingham County, 711 Zitterour Drive (Rincon)
- St. Mary's Community Center, 812 West 36th Street
- Pembroke Library, 1018 Camilla Drive
- Richmond Hill Library, 9607 Ford Ave
- Effingham Career Academy, 2940 Highway 21 South
For more information, contact the city's Public Information Office at 912.651.6410.