Gary's team to appeal judge's funding decision

COLUMBUS, Ga. (AP) - Defense attorneys for a man convicted of three strangling deaths plan to appeal a federal judge's decision that denied them funding to pursue a new trial at the state level.

Carlton Gary's attorney Jack Martin said he will appeal U.S. District Judge Clay Land's 22-page ruling Friday that denied them federal funds to seek a new state trial.

Martin said "we think he's wrong as a matter of law."Gary was convicted in three of the seven "Stocking Stranglings" in the late 1970s, but DNA tests released last month raised questions about the convictions.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)