Fatal Fire Update - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

08/12/03

Fatal Fire Update

A burning cigarette in a chair was the probable cause of a fire that claimed the life of a Savannah woman Thursday night. Seventy-year-old Bobbie Wheeler never made it out of her house, despite reports that she came out and went back in after her pet poodle. Even though all the doors were locked from the inside when firefighters got there, they say the rumors do bring up an important point.

"Never go back in a home for a pet or to find out if somebody's gotten out, because they might have gotten out the other side of the house and not made it to the meeting area yet," said Savannah FD's Chief Bob Klitsch.

Klitsch says Wheeler and her poodle were found in different rooms than where the fire started. The fire department hopes people take this tragedy and make an extra effort to make sure their homes are as safe as possible. They say you need to test your smoke detectors once a month, have an escape plan mapped out, and make sure you have two ways to get out of every room in the house.

Reported by: Chris Cowperthwaite, ccowperthwaite@wtoc.com

Powered by Frankly