Fire damages Savannah home - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Fire damages Savannah home

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - A fire severely damaged a home on Monday. It happened just after 1 p.m. on Largo Drive behind AASU.

Savannah firefighters arrived to find flames and heavy smoke in the kitchen and dining room area of the house.

One person was at home when the fire started. She escaped the house without injury.

Two firefighters were almost seriously injured when the ceiling in the living room collapsed. The firefighters evacuated the home. One firefighter jumped through the front window of the house. The two firefighters were treated on the scene by emergency personnel. One was taken to St. Jospeh's Candler as a precaution. He was released later in the day.

Savannah Fire investigators say after a preliminary examination the fire started in a kitchen-area storage closet where the gas water heater is located. They are unsure what sparked the blaze.

The American Red Cross is helping the family of four who live at the home with making plans for alternate living arrangements.

Copyright 2011 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly