RINCON, GA (WTOC) - A family of four has been displaced by an early-morning fire in Effingham County.
The fire started at home in Rincon on Middleground road around 4 a.m. The family smelled smoke and made it out without being injured. Rincon fire responded and quickly worked to get the fire out. The fire caused minor damage on the inside of the house. Investigators say a pot was left on the stove.
"There is damage to the kitchen area and smoke damage throughout the house, so they will be displaced for a few days," said Rincon Fire Chief Corey Rahn. "Always check your stove before going to bed."
The American Red Cross is helping the family, until they can return to their home.