BLUFFTON, SC (WTOC) - The Beaufort County Sheriff's Office will be holding three Medicine Cabinet Celan-Out events on Saturday, March 5, Saturday, April 2 and on Saturday, May 7. The event is to help Beaufort County resident properly dispose of expired and leftover medications, which include prescription and over-the-counter drugs, vitamins and herbal supplements. Citizens are asked not to bring liquid medications, syringes, or medical waste to collection sites.
The Beaufort County Sheriff's Office warns that keeping leftover medications in the home can lead to unintentional poisonings in young children and adults. Also, it can lead to soil and water contaminations.
Residents can dispose of their leftover medications by dropping them into secure, tamper-proof depository box. The sheriff's office will monitor the box during the event and also help remove personal identification. Evidence technicians will properly dispose of the collected medications.
The sheriff's office says this is an amnesty event and no one will be prosecuted for surrending medications.
Events will be held at the following locations from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m:
- March 5: Beaufort County Public Works-South (Benton Field Rd off of Ulmer Rd) in Bluffton
- April 2: Hilton Head Island Fire Station-Summit Dr (off of Dillon Road). This event will be conducted along with the Hilton Head Fire Department.
- May 7: Beaufort County Public Works-North (Shanklin Rd) in Beaufort
For additional information, contact MSgt. Chris Sankowski or the Beaufort County Drug Task Force at 843.757.1575 ext. 235.
The event is held in partnership with:
- Beaufort County Alcohol & Drug Abuse
- Solid Waste & Recycling
- Human Services Alliance
- Beaufort Jasper Water Sewer Authority
- South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control
- Local Fire Departments
- Beaufort Memorial Hospital
- Life Fit Community Health
- Home Instead Senior Care
- United States Marine Corp Demand Reduction
- Bi-Lo and Naval Hospital Pharmacies