Smoking may have caused Beaufort house fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Smoking may have caused Beaufort house fire

Improperly discarded smoking materials possibly caused an accidental fire that destroyed a home early Monday morning, according to the Beaufort County Fire Scene Investigation team.

The fire broke out at a home in the 2600 block of Broad Street in Mossy Oaks. When firefighters arrived just after 5:30 a.m., the home was already engulfed and about 75 percent of it ablaze, according to the Beaufort-Port Royal Fire Department.

An estimated 35 firefighters from the Beaufort-Port Royal Fire Dept. and the Burton Fire District helped battle the blaze, and it took about 20 minutes to control the fire and an hour to extinguish all the hot spots, Beaufort Fire Chief Sammy Negron said in a news release.

Two people in the home were able to escape. No one was injured.

Firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading to two adjacent houses.

The Palmetto Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the residents.

This is the second fire in less than 30 days related to improperly discarded smoking materials, according to the fire department.

Copyright 2011 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly