Fireplace causes damage in lowcountry home - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Fireplace causes damage in lowcountry home

BEAUFORT, SC (WTOC) -

Beaufort firefighters had quite a busy morning Oct. 6, starting with a house fire on Meritta Avenue.

They say it happened around 7 a.m. while the residents were using their fireplace. According to Firefighters, the grout between the bricks failed, allowing fire to get to the structural part of the house.   

They say as it gets cooler, this is good reminder to all of us to take proper precautions, especially when it comes to using the fireplace.

"We need to make sure that everyone has their fireplace professionally inspected and have their chimneys cleaned by a professional chimney sweep to avoid the fire that happened this morning," said John Robinson.

While firefighters were wrapping up this call, they were called out to another fire at Lafayette Square Apartments, where they ended up saving two dogs trapped inside.

Copyright 2011 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly