Smoke on the roof alarms guests and employees at Planters Inn

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - Savannah fire fighters called out to the popular hotel on Saturday. A fire started on the roof of the Planters Inn at the corner of Congress and Abercorn Streets just before five p.m.

Employees and guests complained about the smell of smoke in the building.

When fire crews got there they discovered flames on the roof of the hotel.

They evacuated the building, roped off the area, and attacked the blaze.

Fortunately, no one was hurt. Fire crews are still investigating how that fire got started.

Copyright 2011 WTOC. All rights reserved.