SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - Savannah Fire and Emergency Services firefighters were called to a hazmat incident on Monday morning at a city water treatment facility.
Firefighters were sent just before 10 a.m. to the President Street Water Reclamation Facility at 1400 E. President St. on a report that an employee was exposed to an irritant in a lab.
The employee complained of irritated eyes and a scratchy throat after she opened a cabinet in the facility's water reclamation laboratory and was exposed to fumes, according to SFES.
She was treated at the scene by emergency medical personnel and later transported to St. Joseph's/Candler for more evaluation.
Firefighters evacuated the five employees who were on duty at the time and carried out at Level 1 hazmat procedure due to the uncertainties of the substance.
They monitored air quality and the readings were within normal parameters, according to SFES. Firefighters isolated the suspected substance, which used to test water samples from throughout the city's facilities. It listed as a possible eye and skin irritant.
After more air quality tests and a thorough review of the affected area, firefighters released the lab to facility operators just before 11:30 a.m., according to SFES. An environmental cleanup company was contacted to render the lab safe for employees to re-enter.