An early morning fire has destroyed a home on Chatham County's west side. Southside firefighters were called to the 2000 block of Louis Mills Boulevard near the intersection with ACL Boulevard about 5:30am this morning. The first units to arrive found the home engulfed in flames, with heavy smoke pouring from the two-story building.
Firefighters immediately called for more manpower to help fight the enormous blaze and to keep it from spreading to a home next door.
The man who lives in the house that was on fire tells us he was smoking a cigarette on the couch and fell asleep. The 73 year old man was checked over by EMS and fortunately he was not injured.
As more firefighters arrived, the roof caved in. Police closed off part of the road for firefighting equipment.
The Red Cross was also called to the scene to help find the displaced man a place to live.