Gunman, second suspect in custody after Broughton St. shooting - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Gunman, second person in custody after Broughton St. shooting

Posted: Updated:
Officers near home on Milton Street. Officers near home on Milton Street.
Car with bullet hole at Broughton and Bull streets Car with bullet hole at Broughton and Bull streets
SCMPD officers, SWAT at Reynolds Square on Thursday morning. SCMPD officers, SWAT at Reynolds Square on Thursday morning.

Savannah-Chatham Metro Police have a second person in custody on Milton Street related to the shooting that happened earlier at Broughton and Bull streets.

That person was seen speeding away in a car from a house on Milton Street. Police SWAT team members and K-9 searched the area. He was taken into custody after 12 p.m. in a wooded area near the railroad tracks. A helicopter searched for the second suspect from the air.

The lockdown on Hodge Elementary, DeRenne Middle and Beach High schools has been lifted.

Earlier, SCMPD spokeswoman Gena Sullivan told WTOC that a gunman was taken into custody without incident late Thursday morning in downtown Savannah after a SWAT team moved into the Pink House.

Police had been asking people to avoid the downtown near the Olde Pink House, Reynolds Square and Johnson Square. A SWAT staging area was set up in front of the restaurant and they gathered there.

Police had a two-block area blocked off from Drayton Street from Lincoln to Broughton to Bay blocked off. Police said a perimeter was set up from Reynolds Square to Johnson Square. 

There were shots fired in the area of Broughton and Bull streets around Starbucks at about 8:15 a.m. Thursday. An FBI and a plain clothes officer saw the shooting occur. The suspect went to the Olde Pink House more than three blocks away.

A silver Jaguar parked in the area was shot at. No one was hurt in the shooting.

Police had guns drawn on Abercorn Street across from the Pink House. SCMPD's Sullivan said that an armed man went inside the Pink House and the people who were inside the restaurant got out.

Seth Stephenson is a contractor who's doing work at the Pink House and saw the suspect come into the restaurant.

"When he entered the Pink House, he came in through the kitchen doors and actually hit me with one of the doors, [and] then proceeded downstairs into the Pink House," he said. "At that time, about a minute later, someone asked if someone ran through. I told them, 'yeah.' And then went downstairs to take a look and everything. By the time I got to the top of the stairs, Savannah-Chatham Metro Police started to evacuate everyone from the building."

Snipers were positioned on top of a downtown parking garage. A robot had been brought out to the scene.

People downtown at the time were told to stay inside buildings and avoid the area. The Savannah College of Art and Design sent out an alert telling students, staff and faculty who were in Propes, Lucas and Trustees to remain inside. 

Helicopters were circling the area from above. 

Copyright 2012 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow