Suspect barricades himself in Pink House, runs into repairman

Suspect barricades himself in Pink House, runs into repairman

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - After running from a Savannah Chatham Police Detective, Kevin Dale Cook, 26, barricaded himself in the Olde Pink House restaurant. That's where one repairman came face to face the armed suspect.

Seth Stephenson was doing floor repair work in the Olde Pink House when Cook came rushing by.

"The kitchen doors flew open, and it knocked my hat sideways," said Stephenson. "The guy was in a real big hurry. He took off down the stairs. I just figured he was late for something."

Soon after, Savannah Chatham Metro Detectives also came inside the restaurant and asked Stephenson if someone had come through the area. He said yes, and went to look for Cook.

"I went downstairs and didn't find him, fortunately," he explained. "By the time I got back upstairs, the Detectives came in with guns drawn and ordered all of the employees out."

"It was kind of scary," said Tyrell Moore, Pink House employee. "We didn't know what was going on."

Chianti Louder, a Pink House employee, was just walking across Reynolds Square when she was stopped by an officer, who told her not to go inside.

"He said we have a dangerous guy inside your work place, so you won't be getting in there any time soon," Louder explained. "Then he said we're not leaving until we get him out of there."

All the employees and repairmen waited around Reynolds Square as the SWAT team moved in, going through a hatch on the roof on top of the Pink House.

"We all started talking about it," said Stephenson. "We could have been hostages, or shot in that place. Stuff like that really wakes you up a little bit."

It was also a wake up call for Pink House General Manager Craig Jeffress.

"There could have been a very different ending," he said. "I feel very fortunate and very thankful. I can't say enough about the police officers. It was so incredible to watch them take care of our community."

The Savannah Chatham Metro SWAT team and K-9 unit moved in and found Kevin Cook hiding on the main floor of the restaurant. He didn't want to surrender and was taken down by one of the K-9's.

Cook is currently behind bars in the Chatham County Detention Center facing numerous charges. He'll be arraigned Friday.

Copyright 2012 WTOC. All rights reserved.