SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - Whether you run fast or slow, alone or with others, all over town or just around the block Wednesday is the day to celebrate a sport that is simple, inexpensive and fun.
It's National Running Day, which is held each year on the first Wednesday in June.
Everyone has a different reason for running. Some to shake off a stressful workday or to burn off a sinful dessert, but on Wednesday athletes around the world new and seasoned will run for the pleasure of celebrating together.
Here are some other ways to celebrate National Running Day:
1. Declare your passion - Let others know why you plan on running either for charity or to whittle your middle.
2. Bring a runway to work - Swap your loafers or heels for sneakers. Your feet will thank you for it, and it will be that much easier to step out for a short jog during lunch or on your way home from work.
3. Morph your friends into running friends - Invite a pal or two to hit the road with you. They'll be hooked in no time.
4. Strike new ground - You might find a new favorite running path to spice up your summer.
5. Choose a running resolution - Kick off a new fitness goal on National Running Day. It can be anything, including adding five minutes to your next run, running a new distance or signing up for a road race.
The 2012 Rock 'n' Roll Marathon route will be announced on Wednesday in Johnson Square at 11 a.m.
Fleet Feet Sports is holding with a free guided training run on Wednesday. It takes place at 5:30 p.m. at the shop on Waters Avenue. Meet Olympian Jim Ryun, receive a 20 percent in-store Brooks discount and register for the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon.
The first 40 attendees receive a free National Running Day T-shirt.