Kitchen appliance sparks fire in Garden City home - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Kitchen appliance sparks fire in Garden City home

Kitchen appliance sparks fire at home on Ridge Rd. Kitchen appliance sparks fire at home on Ridge Rd.
GARDEN CITY, GA (WTOC) -

Smoke filled the sky in a Garden City neighborhood early Saturday morning.

Just after 6:00 a.m., flames could be seen coming from a house on 21 Ridge Road in Garden City off Ogeechee Rd.

Firefighters did a quick search of the house and found no one was in the home. Southside Fire along with Garden City Fire and Savannah-Chatham Metro Police managed to put the fire out quickly, which prevented damage on the outside of the home. However, not before flames damaged the kitchen, the flooring and the attic on the inside.

Southside Battalion Chief Brett Waters tell WTOC the fire was started by some electrical problem with one of the kitchen appliances.

The owner of the home was on his way to Florida when he was told his house was on fire.

Copyright 2012 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly