Trial begins for accused Bryan Co. kidnapper - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Trial begins for accused kidnapper

Posted: Updated:
STATESBORO, GA (WTOC) -

Trial began Monday in the kidnapping case against Antonio Murray. He is the third of three men accused of kidnapping two Bryan County businessmen and holding them for ransom. In opening statements Monday, federal prosecutors said Murray convinced his cousin and his half-brother to take part in the scheme. The two kidnappings occurred between late November of last year and January.

Prosecutors promised jurors they would link Murray to the crime through witnesses, cell phone records, even what they said was Murray's possession of property stolen from the victims. Defense attorneys contended to the jury that Murrary's two relatives could not be believed because they've agreed to testify against him as part of a plea bargain deal.

The first witness in the case was an employee of one of the victims. He recalled a desperate phone call from his boss to cash checks from the company for the ransom. He also described talking to at least one kidnapper by phone for the drop off instructions.

Copyright 2012 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow