Juliette Low Elementary School donates to Susan G. Komen - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Juliette Low Elementary donates $300 to Susan G. Komen

Posted: Updated:
Donations came from school students, faculty and staff. Donations came from school students, faculty and staff.
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

Juliette Low Elementary School made a special donation on Monday to the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.

The school counselor who spearheaded the fund-raiser presented a member of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure a check for $320. All the funds were raised by students, faculty and staff.

The elementary school spent the month of October raising the funds through donations. Faculty wore pink every Wednesday to raise awareness. The last Wednesday of the month, students were allowed to wear pink accessories to show their support.

Beth Desloges, executive director of Coastal Georgia Affiliate of The Susan G. Komen Foundation, accepted the donation on Monday morning and said that 75 percent of the donation will go to help local women with their fight against breast cancer. The other 25 percent will go to help the cause nationally.

"We are so excited about being able to do this because our young people do need to be aware of health issues and the more involved and informed they are that will help them make better health decisions of their own," said the Brenda Roberts, student counselor for Juliette Low Elementary.

Roberts plans to make the fund-raiser an annual event held by the school.

Copyright 2012 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow