Space heater to blame in Bryan County mobile home fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Cause released in Bryan County mobile home fire

Gavin Newman (Source: family members) Gavin Newman (Source: family members)

An early-morning fire that killed two young boys and injured three other family members has been ruled accidental.

Glen Allen, a spokesman for Georgia's insurance and fire commissioner, said the fire was caused by a space heater that was too close to combustible materials. Allen said there were no smoke alarms in the home.

Gavin Dale Newman, 3, and his brother, Randal Newman III, 4, died in the blaze.

Aden Wells, 6; Crystal Beasley, 23; the mother of all three children; and Randal Newman Jr., 33, the father, of Gavin and Randal, were flown to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta.

Beasley remains in the intensive care unit. She has burns over 40 percent of her body and her lungs were burned. Aden and Randal Newman Jr. are both stable and are sharing a room at the burn center. 

A fund has been set up with the Flanders Morrison Funeral Home to help pay for the funeral service. Donations can be made to the Flanders Morrison Funeral Home with the memo Newman Family Fund. 

So far, there have been 53 fatalities in Georgia this year.

Copyright 2012 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly