Family questions cause of fatal fire and death of two boys - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Family questions cause of fatal fire and death of two boys in Ellabell

Posted: Updated:
Left to right: Ivan Newman, Gavin Newman, Ayden Wells Left to right: Ivan Newman, Gavin Newman, Ayden Wells

A mother is defending her daughter's honor and the memory of her grandchildren.

Nancy Beasely told WTOC Tuesday morning she did not believe a space heater was to blame for the Friday early morning fire which killed her two young grandchildren and sent her daughter, her fiance and his son to the Augusta Burn Center.

Beasely said she knew the mobile home had smoke detectors because she put them in herself and she cannot support the idea of possible negligence involving the space heater being the cause of this deadly fire.

She made those points very clear over the phone Tuesday, even stating she did not believe the home even had a space heater. However, Beasely did not want to turn this into an attack from the family on fire investigators.

Tuesday afternoon, Crystal Beasely, Randy Newman and his six-year-old son, Ayden, were  home recovering after being released from Augusta Monday afternoon. Meanwhile, their loved ones are at a funeral home to finalize plans to bury three and four year olds Iven and Gavin Newman, who died in the early morning blaze Friday on Pine Needle Drive in Ellabell.

Georgia Fire and Insurance spokesman Glenn Allen told WTOC just a little while ago all he can tell us is what experienced fire investigators have told them about what took place and evidence they found points to an accidental fire in the mobile home around 4:15 a.m. caused by a space heater too close to combustibles.

Allen said investigators do plan on questioning Beasely and Newman now that they are out of the hospital.

Allen also added, the fire investigators are not questioning what the family is saying about the space heater, but in their search and investigation, right now, they stand by their findings.

Family and friends are still asking for monetary and other donations for the family, who do not have home insurance and lost everything in the fire. More importantly, they need clothes and household items.

Monetary donations can be made to the Beasley Family Donation fund at the Bryan Bank or Savannah Bank.

Ashley Roberts will be accepting clothing and other charitable donations for the family. She can be reached at 912.220.2976. They are in need of women's size 9-10 pants, women's medium shirts, women's size 8 shoes, men's 32-32 pants, men's large shirts, boys slim 7 clothes, and boys 12-1 shoes.

Visitation for Iven and Gavin will take place from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday and a funeral will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday at Flanders Funeral Home in Pemroke.

Copyright 2012 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow