SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - Fire crews were called out early Friday morning to a house fire on Wilmington Island.
It started at a home on Winchester Drive around 6 a.m. Friday. Upon arrival, fire crews could see smoking coming from the roof of the residence.
The homeowner and his wife were home at the time the fire broke out and managed to get out safely. The couple reported that they had grilled out on Thursday and later stored the grill inside of a storage unit in the back of the house. They believe an ember must have sparked back up in the grill setting the storage unit on fire, which quickly spread to the back of the house and the attic.
The house suffered major smoke and water damage to the back. Fire crews were able to keep the fire contained to the back of the home and attic area.
The fire is now out and firefighters are keeping an eye on hot spots to make sure it doesn't start back up.