APS installing temporary boiler at Finch Elementary - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

APS installing temporary boiler at Finch Elementary

Posted: Updated:
mobile boiler at Finch Elementary mobile boiler at Finch Elementary
ATLANTA (CBS ATLANTA) -

Atlanta Public Schools installed a temporary boiler outside of Finch Elementary School on Wednesday. They plan to install a new permanent one over the weekend.

"It's a complete boiler room inside a trailer. It's the same size boiler as what's inside the building," said Darryl Gunter, president of Atlanta Boiler & Mechanical.

APS hired Gunter's company to install the temporary boiler.

"Once the state gives us permits, the fire marshal's office will come out and inspect the boiler to make sure it is installed properly," said Gunter.

APS removed the school's old boiler after a carbon monoxide leak poisoned dozens of students on Monday.

Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said he is disappointed with APS because workers disassembled the original boiler before inspectors from his office could look at it.

"As soon as we were notified, the fire marshal sent out people down there who are the experts in boilers, but [APS] maintenance people had already started disassembling the boiler. We could not do any forensic analysis," said Hudgens.

Hudgens is not sure if human error or mechanical error caused the leak.

"There was a valve closed that made the boiler run all weekend. They were looking for some video tape to see who may have closed the valve," said Hudgens.

During a news conference Monday afternoon, Atlanta Public Schools Superintendent Erroll Davis said the boiler in question passed an inspection in 2011 and was not due for another inspection until 2013.

Finch does not have carbon monoxide detectors. They are not required by state law, but Hudgens hopes to change that.

"I'm going to create legislation and have someone at the Capitol introduce it to at least create a study committee to see if we want to do what Connecticut and Maryland have done, and that's require these carbon monoxide detectors in schools and public buildings," said Hudgens.

Hudgens said the inspection of the school's temporary boiler will not be completed Wednesday. He expects it to be done Thursday.

Copyright 2012 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

carbon monoxide leak sidebar 12/4

An Atlanta school has been evacuated due to a chemical leak which sent dozens to the hospital. See photos

Powered by WorldNow