Two Port Wentworth officers not charged in fatal shooting - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Two police officers not charged in fatal shooting

Posted: Updated:
PORT WENTWORTH, GA (WTOC) -

Two Port Wentworth police officers involved in a fatal shooting on June 26 will not have charges brought against them in the case.

A 20-year-old Pooler man was fatally shot dead after an altercation and shooting with police in Port Wentworth. The shooting happened in the Newport subdivision at Stemson Way and Corsair Circle.

The two Port Wentworth officers involved Loren Scholes III and Michael McDonald were put on administrative leave pending the investigation.

Port Wentworth police spokesman Matt Libby said Pooler police asked for assistance from Port Wentworth to talk to Deshone Lamar Travis at home in the Newport subdivision about a robbery that had occurred earlier that week at the Wendy's on Highway 80 in Pooler.

At the robbery scene, an officer found what he thought to be a clip from a BB-type gun in the Wendy's parking lot, according to the Pooler police report.

When police went to talk to Travis at the home, he became uncooperative and things escalated to the point the officers were in fear of their lives. Police say Travis tried taking off in his silver Acura when two Port Wentworth officers began shooting at the vehicle.

Police then had to smash the windows out of a car in order to get the Travis out. Medics performed CPR and he was transported to the hospital where he later died.

A neighbor said the Acura, apparently crashed into his pickup truck before deputies got Travis out.

District Attorney Larry Chisolm has requested further investigation by the FBI in connection with any potential civil rights violations, according to the District Attorney's Office.

Travis' supporters were very upset Wednesday night to learn the Grand Jury did not charge the officers.

"The message that they are sending to the community is it is okay for police officers to murder young African American men," Alicia Blakely said.

Blakely says she is not giving up the fight. She says she is pleased the District Attorney contacted the FBI.

Copyright 2012 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow