Orange Crush is in the works for next year despite protests - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Some residents upset Orange Crush is in the works for next year

Posted: Updated:
TYBEE ISLAND, GA (WTOC) -

Despite protests from some angry residents, the city of Tybee Island is already planning Orange Crush 2013, an unsponsored beach party mainly promoted on Facebook.

Some residents are concerned after garbage was left all over the beach.

But the city says next year's event will be safer, cleaner and organized. Crush Fest, LLC, out of Atlanta, is organizing the event, and wants to make it more like a festival than a beach party.

The city has been working with the company to add more police officers from neighboring departments to beef up security, and enlist volunteers to clean up the beach after the event.

Chantal Morgan with the city says she understands why some residents are concerned.

"Rightfully, they have the right to be upset. Littering has been a problem on Tybee Island."

But some residents say they are skeptical next year's Orange Crush will be any better.

"I can't believe they trashed the beach like that. After last year I don't want to see the beach trashed again," says Whitney Roberson, resident.

City council will hold a special meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday at city hall to decide an actual date for Orange Crush 2013.

Copyright 2012 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow