Roswell boys reunited with mother after Amber Alert - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Roswell boys reunited with mother after Amber Alert


The two boys missing since Dec. 21, 2012, have been safely reunited with their mother.

Ben, 9, and Henry Cleary, 8, live in Suwanee with their mother, Theresa Nash. She had dropped the boys off at the home of their father, Daniel Cleary, in Roswell. He was supposed to bring them back Dec. 26 at 2 p.m., but failed to show up.

Officers found them with their father in Texas on Saturday ending a nation-wide Amber Alert.

Nash flew out to Dallas late Saturday and drove to Austin early Sunday morning.

The two boys were treated to a homecoming in Suwanee Sunday afternoon.

"That's what I wanted more than anything - to see the boys run off and play. This is a welcome home is what it is. They don't know the gravity," said Nash.

The last time Nash spoke to the boys was Dec. 22, despite the fact that there is a court mandate for them to talk to their mother every day that they are visiting with their father.

The mother went to the Roswell home when they failed to be dropped off and found that it had been cleared out. Roswell police believe Daniel Cleary had a gun with him, as it was not in the home. He has previously had at least three DUIs, Roswell police confirm. Police considered him a potential danger.

Daniel Cleary had also abandoned his car and bought a new one, a silver Jeep, whose temporary tags were listed in the Amber Alert issued on Thursday.

The boys were spotted with their father at a Walmart in Chattanooga, TN on Dec. 23 and 24. Still shots from surveillance video show them together. Surveillance video also showed the silver Jeep towing a trailer.

On Saturday, Dec. 29, someone in Austin, TX, spotted the boys and their father at a motel and called police.

Social media played a big role in the search for the boys. Their Facebook group had nearly 10,000 likes and helped get the word about the missing boys out.

"Some folks evidently recognized him. It was on social media, they went and told the clerk, the clerk in turn called the Austin police department," said Nash. "It's been a group effort of humanity and I absolutely have faith in humanity like I've never had in my life."

Daniel Cleary was arrested and charged with interstate interference with custody.

He'll be extradited back to Georgia, but remains in Texas for now.

Copyright 2012 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly