House fire claims life of pet and leaves family without a home - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Early morning house fire in Beaufort takes life of family's small dog

Posted: Updated:
BEAUFORT, SC (WTOC) -

Fire destroys a Beaufort house leaving 10 people without a place to call home. 

Fortunately that entire family made it out alive, but their family pet did not. The Beaufort family now staying in a temporary shelter after fire broke out in the attic of their home. Now a community is coming together to help the family gather items and cope with the loss of their beloved pet.

Early sunday morning flames could be seen shooting out of this home on Newscastle Street in Beaufort.

The family on Sunday, a mother and father, their five children, the mother's step father and her two young sisters all lived in the home. 

Shaquera Harris said, "My husband was coming in from hanging out and saw flames shooting out the side of the house and he woke the whole house up and said the house was on fire."

Sadly Shaquera Harris's family's puppy just a few weeks old did not make it. Fire officials tell WTOC the pup was found dead inside the home curled up in a clothes basket. 10 people survived , 7 of them children,  all lived here. 

"I was immediately concerned because they have a lot of children and I immedtialey called 911," said neighbor Kathy Bruce.

Kathy Bruce is organizing community help for the Harris family. 

Deputy Chief Clay Scoggins of the Beaufort-Port Royal Fire Department states the fire started when a tree limb hit nearby power lines and cut power off. A family member tried to restart the breaker, he said and soon smoke filling up behind a wall near the electrical panel.  Firefighters were able to keep nearby homes one as close as 15 feet away safe from the flames. 

Shaquera says, "the emergency breaker caught on fire and set the whole house on fire."

High winds didn't do firefighters any favors. But all members of the family four home at the time are okay. The smallest member of the family, their puppy, died of smoke inhalation.

"I feel very sad about but at the same time I thank god all the childen are ok," says Kathy Bruce.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family. The organization said they need clothes specially for children ages 8 and up. The home suffered significant damage no word yet  the family will ever be able to move back in.

Copyright 2012 WTOC. All rights reserved.

 

 

Powered by WorldNow