Family forced to leave Isle of Hope home after chimney fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Savannah family forced to leave home after chimney catches fire

Posted: Updated:
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

It was a scary night for an Isle of Hope family, but thankfully, everyone is ok. 

Firefighters say a family was enjoying the National Championship game with a fire burning in the fire place and ended up with heavy smoke in the house and quite a scare. 

The family reported that they thought they had put the fire out, but a small fire started back up in a crack in the chimney, causing smoke to fill the house. 

When fire crews arrived at the home on Cornus Rd., they had to take some boards off the wall to get to the fire that had spread to some of the walls and part of the attic.

The fire captain for the Isle of Hope Fire Department says they got there just in time because it could have been much worse. 

"In another 10 minutes it would have been very, very severe. Right now it's just a lot of cosmetic stuff, some boards, some sheet rock. But for the amount of potential damage it's pretty minor" said Captain Jim McClain, Isle of Hope Fire Dept. 

The Captain says this is not the first time they saw something like this occur and that it is common. He encourages everyone to get their chimneys checked if they do like to have a fire in the house during the winter months.

Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow