Firefighters rescue dog in Midtown house fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Family dog rescued by Savannah firefighters

Posted: Updated:
A dog is resuscitated with a pet oxygen mask by Savannah firefighters. (Source: SFES) A dog is resuscitated with a pet oxygen mask by Savannah firefighters. (Source: SFES)
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

Three Savannah residents are out of their Midtown home Wednesday after a fire erupted in a back bedroom of their house.

Firefighters responded at about 12:10 p.m. to a home on West 40th Street.

They put out the flames within a few minutes. The fire was contained to a back bedroom, but the rest of the house sustained smoke and water damage, according to Savannah Fire and Emergency Services.

Two people inside home escaped before firefighters arrived. Firefighters found the family's dog unresponsive in the home after it had succumbed to smoke. They resuscitated it using a pet oxygen mask, which are on primary response vehicles and were donated last August to SFES by the Greater Savannah Area Veterinary Medical Association.

The kits have three different sizes of masks to accommodate different size animals and tubing that can be attached to oxygen tanks carried on firefighting vehicles.

SFES investigators said evidence points to the possible misuse of an extension cord that may have caused the fire, according to SFES.

Volunteers with the Chatham County Red Cross Disaster Action Team provided food, temporary shelter and clothing (including seasonal garments, such as coats, etc) and prescription medications to the family.

Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow