Family of 6 homeless after kitchen fire - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Kitchen fire destroys home

Posted: Updated:
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

Savannah firefighters responded to house fire on West Victory Drive around 2 p.m. Saturday. Members of the American Red Cross Disaster Action Team were also called to provide assistance to the family of six that were left homeless.

Before firefighters arrived, the occupants and a neighbor attempted to put the fire out with a garden hose which turned out to be too short. The fire itself was confined to the kitchen but the rest of the house suffered smoke and heat damage. The power had to be disconnected thereby making the home unlivable.

According to fire officials, the four adults and 2 children living in the home evacuated on their own after one of the adults smelled smoke and noticed it filling the home after one of the adults entered the kitchen and saw flames.

The Red Cross provided the family with a hotel room for three nights, funds to buy food for a week and three comfort kits containing personal hygiene items. No one was reported to have been injured in the blaze.

Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow