Family wants answers after officers shoot, kill man - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Family wants answers after officers shoot, kill man

RIght: Ned Aufdenkamp,  Left: Matthew Dyess RIght: Ned Aufdenkamp, Left: Matthew Dyess

(WMC-TV) - Steven Askew's family is asking for an independent investigation into why he was shot and killed by Memphis police as he was visiting his girlfriend.

His family also said the 24-year-old had his whole life in front of him.

"Yes, he lawfully possessed a weapon and permit to carry a weapon," said Askew family attorney Howard Manis.

On Jan. 17, Memphis police were called to the Windsor Place Apartments because of loud noise.

Officers found Askew slumped over the wheel of his car.

When they approached him, officers said Askew pointed a gun at police.

The two officers then shot and killed him.

"In the video, based on the position the officers are in, there may be a question as to whether or nor they followed protocol in how they approached the vehicle," Manis continues.

Attorney Howard Manis said new eyewitness video has surfaced since the shooting.

He said in the video, three additional shots were fired after the initial shooting.

"The actions of the officers involved can only be characterized as a callous and reckless indifference for the life and rights of a law abiding citizen of Memphis," added Manis.

Director Armstrong has no idea how the Askew family's attorney can come up with such an opinion of these officers based on what's been revealed so far.

In a news conference Tuesday afternoon Armstrong said there is no evidence to suggest the two officers fired additional shots after fatally wounding Steven Askew.

The director has seen the amateur video, shared with investigators by the attorney.

Armstrong said, based on his 24 years experience on the police force, the noises did not sound like gunfire to him.

"Certainly when things happen like this there are more questions than answers, so I can empathize with the family. (And) That all information at this point is coming from the MPD, so I can certainly empathize with the family," said Armstrong. 

The two Memphis police officers involved in this shooting are still off the job without pay pending the outcome of the investigation.

The officers involved in this shooting are 30-year-old Ned Aufdenkamp and 31-year-old Matthew Dyess.

Officer Aufdenkamp is currently assigned to the Mt. Moriah Station and has been employed by the Memphis Police Department since July of 2007.

Officer Dyess is also assigned to the Mt. Moriah Station and has been employed by the Memphis Police Department since June of 2010.

Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.
  • NewsNewsMore>>

  • Rain chance increases into Monday

    Rain chance increases into Monday

    Sunday, April 22 2018 10:18 AM EDT2018-04-22 14:18:11 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    High pressure will begin to lose its influence Sunday as a low-pressure system approaches from the west. The low will bring much-needed rain to the area Sunday night into Monday before slowly lifting up the coast through the middle of the week. 

    More >>

    High pressure will begin to lose its influence Sunday as a low-pressure system approaches from the west. The low will bring much-needed rain to the area Sunday night into Monday before slowly lifting up the coast through the middle of the week. 

    More >>
  • School bond referendum fails in Beaufort County

    School bond referendum fails in Beaufort County

    Sunday, April 22 2018 9:49 AM EDT2018-04-22 13:49:42 GMT
    Source: WTOCSource: WTOC

    10,519 people or about 72 percent voted against the referendum, according to unofficial election results from the Beaufort County Election Commission. 

    More >>

    10,519 people or about 72 percent voted against the referendum, according to unofficial election results from the Beaufort County Election Commission. 

    More >>
  • 79-year-old carries out lifelong dream of launching self-made craft

    79-year-old carries out lifelong dream of launching self-made craft

    Saturday, April 21 2018 11:29 PM EDT2018-04-22 03:29:09 GMT
    (Source: WTOC)(Source: WTOC)
    (Source: WTOC)(Source: WTOC)
    It's a boat launch that's been years in the making. Phillip Carter has been building a boat by hand for the past 20 years. The beautiful, handmade troller was put into the water for the first time on Saturday afternoon. His lifelong dream was to complete the boat, a goal he reached just 5 days after his 79th birthday. In the past 10 years he has had 2 open heart surgeries to recover from, making the day even more special for his family. "It means a lot," said Carter'...More >>
    It's a boat launch that's been years in the making. Phillip Carter has been building a boat by hand for the past 20 years. The beautiful, handmade troller was put into the water for the first time on Saturday afternoon. His lifelong dream was to complete the boat, a goal he reached just 5 days after his 79th birthday. In the past 10 years he has had 2 open heart surgeries to recover from, making the day even more special for his family. "It means a lot," said Carter'...More >>
Powered by Frankly