American Red Cross Disaster Action team members from Liberty County were called in to assist a mother and her three children after a fire totally destroyed their home Monday night. The two bedroom mobile home that the family was renting on Louis Frazier St. in Midway caught fire around 11:30 p.m.
According to the report, while the mother was taking a nap on the sofa in the living room, her 17-year-old son was cooking French fries on the kitchen stove. The son left the stove unattended for a short period of time and when he returned, he discovered flames spreading quickly. He tried to put the fire out but it was too late.
"The fire had a huge head start and was very quickly out of control," the 17 year old said in a press release.
The 17 year old immediately alerted his 16-year-old brother and 13-year-old sister. They woke the mother up and all ran out the front door. They called 911 once they were outside.
"I don't know how long it took for the fire department to get there because I was so hysterical," said Martha Jones, the single mother, in a press release. "I do know that it was extremely painful to watch the fire destroy everything I owned and all I could do was watch."
The family plans on staying with Ms. Jones' mother until they can find another place to rent.
"It will probably take about two months because I will have to get the money together before I can get a place of our own," she said in a press release.
The Red Cross team offered to provide shelter for the family but they decided to stay with Ms. Jones' mother instead.
"That hotel you offered to us might come in handy for someone else who might have a fire. We'll stay at my mom's place." she said in a press release.
The Red Cross did provided the family with funds to buy food for a week and seasonal clothing like coats and jackets.