Several fire crews in Liberty County were called out to a massive house fire early Friday morning in Hinesville.
The fire broke out at a home on Elm Street. Fire officials say they battled the blaze for hours and the home is destroyed.
Officials say two people were inside the home when the fire broke out. When police arrived on scene they heard someone screaming for help from inside the home. Police and firefighters were able to get inside the home and get the person out safely. They were taken to Memorial University Medical Center in Savannah by EMS. The Fire Chief tells WTOC the victim did not suffer any burns but heavy smoke inhalation. They are expected to be ok. No other injuries were reported.
Firefighters say they were talking with neighbors who informed them that two people lived in the home along with a pet dog. They grew concerned at that time because they had not seen the dog and began to search the scene. They found the dog in it's crate in the kitchen. They say it was scared and that it did suffer smoke inhalation. The dog was taken to the vet and they say it was alert and wagging it's tail and they believe it will be ok as well it's owner.
Right now, firefighters are monitoring hot spots so that the home is not a threat to the other nearby homes. They say the threat is gone and the fire is under control.
For those living or driving in the area, Elm Street is blocked off at this time. Drivers should avoid the area and seek an alternate route if possible.