A fire damages four units at the Spanish Villa Apartments.
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -
Five people were displaced from their homes by fire late Wednesday morning at an apartment complex on the city's south side.
Firefighters responded just before 11:10 a.m. to the Spanish Villa Apartments at 10611 Abercorn St. Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and flames from apartment 7. The bulk of the fire initially was in the kitchen area of the apartment. But while they were searching for victims, the firefighters experienced a flash over that engulfed the living room in flames, according to a news release from Savannah Fire & Emergency Services.
"When the first firefighters got inside , there was heavy flames in the kitchen area and then there was a flash over and it consumed most of the living room area also," said Savannah fire & Emergency Services Public Information Officer Mark Keller.
Two Savannah firefighters suffered minor injuries. They're being treated at a St. Joseph's/Candler facility and are expected to be released later Wednesday.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze quickly, but the unit sustained extensive fire damage.
Two adults and a child who lived in the apartment were not home at the time of the blaze.
"They don't have any money. They have a baby and they are trying to do what everybody else does, it's hard out here," said family friend Nicole Moats.
The family and two other adults who live in an adjoining apartment were displaced due to the fire. The adjoining apartment sustained water damage and electrical power had to be discontinued to the unit.
Savannah fire investigators said it appears the blaze originated in the kitchen and was accidental and may have been electrical.
Volunteers with the American Red Cross are working with the displaced residents on alternate living arrangements.