Savannah felon sentenced for firearms offense - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Felon sentenced for firearms offense

Posted: Updated:
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

A Savannah man was sentenced Monday to more than 13 years in prison for a federal firearms offense.  

Charles Starks, 22, received 162 months in prison for possessing a firearm as a convicted felon and for a related drug offense.  He was classified as a career offender under the federal sentencing guidelines due to his previous convictions for burglary, obstruction, firearms possession and drug trafficking, according to the U.S. District Attorney's Office.

He distributed marijuana to an underage female while he possessed a stolen, loaded .38-caliber Smith and Wesson revolver, according to the U.S. District Attorney's Office.

The case was under Project Ceasefire, which is a joint federal, state and local firearms initiative that involves the U.S. Attorney's Office, the Chatham County District Attorney's Office, the ATF and the Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Dept. 

United States Attorney Tarver said: "Project Ceasefire is an effective program designed to remove from our streets previously convicted felons who, after their initial release from confinement, continued to engage in criminal activity by using and carrying firearms.  The career path chosen by this very young Defendant is extremely unfortunate.  Because of his multiple felony convictions, he has qualified for designation into an exclusive category known as the 'career offender'.  Felons with guns, serve hard time, for a long time," said U.S. Attorney Ed Tarver in a statement.  

Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow