Sign sparks fire at SpringHill Suites on Abercorn Street - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Sign sparks fire at Savannah hotel

Posted: Updated:
Fire erupts from sign at SpringHill Suites on Monday night. Fire erupts from sign at SpringHill Suites on Monday night.
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

Managers at the Springhill Suites on Abercorn Street say the hotel could be closed for several days after a fire on Monday night. They're hoping to open by next Monday after a fire forced guests and workers to evacuate to other hotels Monday night.

The fire broke out at about 10:30 p.m. Monday at the SpringHill Suites on Abercorn Street at Largo Drive. 

A contractor with Paul Davis Restoration, a local fire and water maintenance company, was hired by Springhill Suites to clean the building. He said no one is inside the building and that all customers were taken to other hotels and motels for the night while the contractor tries to dry the walls and floors with fans placed throughout the building. 

Officials believe the fire started from some kind of electrical short in the sign at the top of the building.

Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow