SFES: Space heater likely cause of apartment blaze
A fire damaged eight units at the Live Oak Plantation apartment complex.
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -
Eight units of an apartment building were damaged in a fire overnight that put 26 people out of their homes.
The fire started at about 8 p.m. in one apartment at Live Oak Plantation on Waters Avenue and spread quickly through the attic and the back end of the apartment building to eight other units. Firefighters arrived at about 8:15 p.m.
"It was a two-alarm fire. In fact, the battalion chief called for a second alarm because of how serious it was. Also to have the resources at bay, to keep the fire at bay as best they could," said Savannah Fire and Emergency Services spokesman Mark Keller.
The residents were not home at the time of the fire.
Keller said the fire was probably caused by a space heater left on in the apartment too close to furniture.
American Red Cross took all 26 people, including several children, back to their office to give them shelter, food and clothing.